- (812) 855-8763
- GA 2027
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madision, 2012
- Chinese Linguistics
- Chinese Language and Pedagogy
- Second Language Acquisition
- Motivation and Learning Strategies
Courses Recently Taught
- EALC-C201 Second Year Chinese 1
- EALC-C201 Second Year Chinese 2
- EALC-C301 Third Year Chinese 1
- EALC-C301 Third Year Chinese 2
- EALC-C525 Teaching Chinese as a Foreign/Second Language
- EALC-C535 Chinese Curriculum and Material Design
Awards and Distinctions
- Phase II Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Grant, Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education, Indiana University (2017-2019)
- Overseas Short-Term Faculty Exchange Grant, Office of the Vice Provost for International Affairs, Indiana University (Summer 2017)
- College of Arts and Sciences Summer Faculty Fellowship (2013)
- Jiede Empirical Research Grant for Chinese Pedagogy/Chinese Applied Linguistics, Chinese Language Teachers Association (2012)
- Capstone Ph.D. Teaching Award, University of Wisconsin-Madison (2011)
- University Fellowship, University of Wisconsin-Madison (2007-2010)
- Motivation and Dynamic Learning in Chinese as a Second Language (in progress)
- Manner of Motion Saliency in Chinese: Typology, Diachronic Change, and Synchronic Variation (in progress, co-authored with Dr. Shi, W.)
- Shi, W., Yang, W., & Su, H. (2018). The typological change of motion expressions in Chinese revisited: Motion events in old Chinese and its modern Chinese translation. Studies in Language 42(4): 847-885.
- Su, H. (2017). Tracing the Historical Change of Diminutives in Southern Wu Dialects. Proceedings of the 29th North American Conference on Chinese Linguistics (NACCL-29). Volume 2. Edited by Lan Zhang. University of Memphis, Memphis, TN. p.533-544.
- Su, H. (2015). Linking motivation in learning Chinese with national standards for foreign language learning. Taiwan Journal of Chinese as a Second Language 11:67-91.
- Su, H. (2014). Teaching Chinese culture in a language classroom: A project-based approach. Journal of International Cultural Education 1:121-137.
- Su, H. (2014). Motivation in SLA and TCFL: Where we are and where we are going? Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Teaching Chinese as a Second Language: 1-20.
- Su, H. (2014). Linking Motivation in Learning Chinese with National Standards for Foreign Language Learning. Proceedings of the 2014 International Conference of Teaching Chinese as a Second Language: 20-29. [The most updated version of this study has been published in Su (2015) Taiwan Journal of Chinese as a Second Language.]
- Su, H. (2012). Review of Dörnyei, Z. (2009). “Individual differences: Interplay of learner characteristics and the learning environment”. Linguistics Abroad 2.
- Su, H. (2011). “The Mental Verb Usage of Bei in Contemporary Chinese”. In Proceedings of the 19th International Associate of Chinese Linguistics.
- Su, H (2011). Review of Blevins, J. (2006). “Word-based morphology”. Linguistics Abroad 1: 279-282.
- Su, H (2011). Translation of Bybee, J. (2006).“From usage to grammar: The mind’s response to repetition”. Selective Papers of Linguistics from English to Chinese 1: 101-123. Reprint by Chinese Social Sciences Digest 2011 (12). Beijing: China Academy of Social Sciences.
- Su, H (2010). "Towards Establishing the Prosody of Heptasyllabic Verse: A Case Study of the Tonal Patterns in Selections from Du Fu’s Kuizhou Songs, Ten Quatrains". In Proceedings of the 9th Phonetic Conference of China.