Guidelines for Domestic Applicants to Graduate Programs- Fall 2019 Admission
- The application deadline for domestic applicants is December 15, 2019.
- Domestic applicants are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. If you are an international applicant, please see the page on international application.
- If you have questions or need more information, please contact EALC
- Frequently Asked Questions for Domestic Applicants
Some guidelines for applying:
1. Once you have determined which program you would like to apply for, begin to prepare your application materials.
All domestic applicants must submit:
- Online Application for Graduate Admission
- Statement of purpose (500 - 1000 words)
- Academic writing sample (usually a five to ten page paper) in English
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official score report of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test scores
- Complete official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities attended
- $70 Non-refundable application fee
2. Complete the online application and pay the application fee. Please click here for the online application. The following can be submitted as part of the online application:
If you would like to be considered for an Associate Instructor (AI) position in EALC, please answer the funding question on the online application.
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION: Please be aware that the recommenders you list on your online application will not receive your recommendation request until after you submit your online application and pay the application fee. For that reason, you may want to plan to submit your online application ahead of the due date to allow your recommenders the opportunity to send recommendations in before the due date. You may also ask your recommenders to send hard copies of their letters directly to Hamilton Lugar Graduate Admissions in advance of the online recommendation for submission. Please contact HLS Graduate Admissions if you have questions about this.
3. The following application materials should be submitted directly to HLS Graduate Admissions:
- Complete official transcripts of ALL college and university credit
- Three letters of recommendation (only if not submitted online)
Send these materials to:
Hamilton Lugar School of Global & International Studies
355 N. Jordan Ave, 2075
Bloomington, IN 47405-1105
4. When you have taken the GRE General Test, have your scores reported to IU.
- The ETS code for Indiana University Bloomington is 1324.
- For the departmental code, please use 2601 for "Asiatic Languages and Literatures"
Scores can be reported either electronically or in a paper format. Scores must come directly from the testing agency. Photocopies of your scores are not considered official and will not be accepted by IU.
5. Supplemental Application for students who have studied internationally:
Domestic applicants (US citizens and permanent residents) who have studied at a college or university outside of the U.S. and whose overseas credit is not included in a US transcript will require evaluation by the Office of International Services, which may increase processing time.
For answers to domestic applicant FAQs, click here.