International Applicant FAQs

Listed below are a number of questions that are often asked by international applicants to our graduate programs, and answers to those questions.  If your questions are not answered here, or if you need any more information, please contact EALC.

Please make sure you also look closely at the International Admissions Website.

  • When is the application deadline?
    • The international application deadline for MA and PhD programs at Indiana University is December 1st. All of your materials need to be submitted by this date.
  • When will I get my admission decision?
    • Notifications of Admission are typically made during ealry to mid March.  If you are admitted to any EALC program, you will need to notify EALC of your admission decision on the provided admission decision form by April 15th.
  • What sort of financial aid is available?
    • Since EALC is a very small department, we have only a few highly competitive fellowship offers available.  Assistant Instructor (AI) positions are also available, but these are also very competitive. Each EALC admission applicant will be considered for an AI position and will be notified of this in an offer letter from EALC before April 15th should they be selected.
  • I would like to apply for one of your graduate programs, but my undergraduate degree is not in a field related to East Asia.  Can I still apply?
    • For MA applicants: Although a BA in an East Asian field is listed as a requirement for admission to the MA programs, in some cases the admissions committee will admit students who do not meet that requirement if they have a strong background in Chinese, Japanese or Korean.  You are encouraged to apply even if your undergraduate work is in another field, and as part of the personal statement section of the application,  be sure to discuss the relevant work that you have done in an East Asian field.
    • For PhD Applicants: Students with an MA in an unrelated field are welcome to apply for the PhD program, but should be aware that admission to the program without a very strong background in an East Asian field is unlikely.
  • Can I submit a paper application?
    • The online application is the preferred application method for all international students.  It is much easier, quicker, and can save you money on postage.   It also allows you to pay your application fee online with a credit card.  If you have limited or poor computer access, you can either download the paper application or request to have EALC send you a copy of the paper application.  You should expect to wait at least two weeks to receive the application if it is sent by mail.
  • What is the minimum TOEFL score required for admission to your program?
    • There is no minimum TOEFL score to be considered for admission.
    • To be considered for departmental financial aid, you must score at least the following on the TOEFL:
      • 93 Internet Based Test (iBT)
      • 580 paper based test (pBT)
    • The EALC has rarely admitted graduate applicants with scores significantly lower than these levels.
  • Is there a minimum GRE score for admission to your program?
    • There is no minimum GRE score to be considered for admission. Admission is granted on a case by case basis.
  • What is the ETS code for reporting my GRE and TOEFL scores?
    • The ETS code for Indiana University Bloomington is 1324.
      • For the GRE, choose 2601 ("Humanities and Arts/Asian Languages") for the Department/Program code.
      • For the TOEFL, choose 29 ("Far Eastern Languages and Literature") for the Department/Program code.
    • You can have your scores submitted electronically, or in a paper format, but official scores must come directly form ETS. Student-reported scores (including photocopies of score reports) are not considered official and will not be accepted by the University Graduate School.
  • My TOEFL or GRE scores will not be reported until after the December 1st deadline. Is this a problem?
    • Usually, no. We understand that it can take some time for ETS to report scores to IU. If there is a delay af a week or two in the arrival of your scores, it will not be a problem.  If the scores have not arrived by January, this can be a problem. Please ask to have your scores reported electronically, as that takes much less time that have the reports sent by postal mail.
  • Do I really have to submit transcripts of ALL college and univesity work?
    • Yes. The university requires that official transcripts of all of your college and university coursework be submitted. This is true even if the classes on a transcript have no relation to the degree program you are applying for, and even if the credit appears as transfer work on another school's transcript.
    • All official transcripts must be original, in English, and sealed to be accepted. Digital transcripts sent by secure electronic methods are also acceptable.
    • If your undergraduate degree is "in progress" and you are admitted to an EALC Program, an official completed copy of your transcripts will be required upon completion of your undergraduate program.
  • Do my transcripts need to be submitted in English?
    • Yes. All transcripts need to be submitted in English and carry the official seal from your University. Transcripts should be sent to our Department in a sealed envelope by the University or directly from the University through secure electronic correspondence.
  • Can I submit letters of recommendation which are written in a language other than English?
    • No. Since the admissions committee is made up of many faculty members, some of who might not read Chinese, Japanese, or Korean, you should have all of the letters written for you in English.  Since letters of recommendation are confidential, it is not appropriate for you as the applicant to translate letters for your application.
  • What is the best way to have my letters of recommendation submitted?
    • Letters of recommendation can be submitted online by your recommenders, or hard copies can be sent directly to the department.  Both are equally acceptable. Please make sure you have 3 submissions by the established date of requirement, December 1, 2014.
  • I just discovered an error in the personal statement or writing sample that have have already submitted. Can I submit a revised version?
    • Unfortunately, no. All application materials are considered final when they are submitted and we do not accept revised versions. Please be sure to proofread your materials carefully before submission.
  • Where should I send my application materials?
    • Please use the electronic application provided in the link below. You may attach the following required componets directly to this application and it is easiest and most efficient to do so:
      • Online Application for Graduate Admission
      • Statement of purpose (500-1000 words)
      • Three letters of recommendation (submitted by your recommenders dierectly from links you provide from the online application)
      • Academic writing sample (usually a five to ten page paper) in English
      • $65 Non-refundable application fee
    • If possible the following materials should also be sent electronically directly to EALC:
    • Three letters of recommendation (If not attached to your original application)

      **Please Note: If you are unable to submit your application online, then your entire admissions packet except transcripts needs to be sent directly to EALC.**
  • Should I send my application materials directly to East Asian Languages and Cultures?
    • Yes, excpept transcripts and financial documentation. Please submit your application materials to:
      • Electronic Attachments: EALC
      • Hard Copy:
        Indiana University
        Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures
        Global and International Studies Building, 2050 A
        355 N Jordan Ave.
        Bloomington, IN 47405
    Your transcripts and financial documentation must be submitted directly to the Office of International Services which can be contacted from your iStart account or newtoiu@indiana.edu.