Guidelines for International Applicants to Graduate Programs - Fall 2019 Admission
- The Application deadline for International Applicants is December 1, 2018.
- It is very important that you visit IU’s International Admissions website. This will provide the most useful information and access to the online application.
- Please see the most recent Graduate School Bulletin for the specific requirements for each degree option offered by EALC.
- If you need more information, or have any questions, please contact EALC.
- Frequently Asked Questions for International Applicants
Steps for applying:
1. Once you have determined which program you would like to apply for, begin to prepare your application materials. All international applicants must submit:
- Online Application for Graduate Admission
- Statement of purpose (500 - 1000 words)
- Academic writing sample (usually a five to ten page paper) in English
- Three letters of recommendation also in English and directly from the source
- Official score report of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test scores
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores
- Complete official transcripts of ALL colleges and universities attended (must be from the Universities and in English)
- $65 Non-refundable application fee
2. Complete the online application and pay the application fee. The online application can be accessed at Graduate Application. The following materials can be submitted as part of the online application:
- If you would like to be considered for an Associate Instructor (AI) position in EALC, please be certain to fill out the “Departmental Questions” portion of the online application.
- If you are unable to access or submit the online application, please contact EALC for a paper copy of the application.
Please note: The “Departmental Questions” portion of the application does not allow you to save your work and return to it at a later time. This section only will need to be completed and submitted in one session. The rest of the online application allows you to revisit your work as much as you like before submission.
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION: Please be aware that that the recommenders that you list on your online application will not receive your recommendation request until after you submit your online application and pay the application fee. For this reason, you may want to plan to submit your online application ahead of the due date to allow your recommenders the chance to send recommendations in before the due date. You may also ask your recommenders tosend hard copies of their letters directly to the department and bypass the online recommendation submission. Please contact EALC if you have questions about this.
Please send OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS directly to the Office of International Services.
Office of International Services
ATTN: International Admissions
400 E. Seventh Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
- The ETS code for Indiana University Bloomington is 1324.
- For the GRE, choose 2601 ("Asiatic Languages and Literatures") for the Department/Program code.
- For the TOEFL, choose 29 ("Far Eastern Languages and Literature") for the Department/Program code.
Scores can be reported either electronically, or in a paper format. Scores must come directly from the testing agency. Photocopies of your scores are not considered official and will not be accepted by IU.
Please keep these things in mind:
- East Asian Languages and Cultures admits students only for Fall semester. We do not have Spring or Summer admission
The Application deadline for International applicants is December 1st, 2018.
- Admissions decisions for Fall 2019 will be mailed at the beginning of March, 2019. In most cases, acceptance letters are sent by e-mail as well as by postal mail, and denial letters are sent by email only.
- A very limited amount of financial aid is offered by EALC. To be considered for financial aid, students must score at least the following on the TOEFL exam:
- 93 Internet Based Test (iBT)
- 580 paper based test
For answers to international applicant FAQs, click here.