- (812) 856-0230
- GA 3025
- PhD, Cornell University, 2002
- politics in contemporary Xinjiang
- history of modern Xinjiang
- historiography in China
- nationalism and ethnic conflict
Courses Recently Taught
- CEUS U320/H520 on various topics including:
- The History of Xinjiang to 1911
- From Colony to Kingdom to Province: Politics in Modern Xinjiang
- The Politics of Identity in China and Inner Asia
- Grave-robbers, Missionaries, and Spies: Foreign Adventurers in Chinese Turkistan
Awards and Distinctions
- Clark Distinguished Teaching Award (Yale), 2000
- "CCP Policies and Popular Responses in Xinjiang, 1949 to Present," in China's Management of Its Minorities, edited by Morris Rossabi, (Seattle: University of Washington Press), forthcoming
- "Contested Histories" (with Nabijan Tursun). In Xinjiang: China's Muslim Frontier, edited by S. Frederick Starr (Armonk: M.E. Sharpe, 2004), 353-74.
- "Autonomy in Xinjiang: Han Nationalist Imperatives and Uyghur Discontent," Policy Studies 11 (Washington: East-West Center, 2004). (64 pages)
- "Contested Histories," (with Nabijan Tursun) in Xinjiang: China's Muslim Frontier, edited by S. Frederick Starr, (Armonk: M.E. Sharpe, 2004) 353-74.
- "The Not-So-Silent Majority: Uyghur Resistance to Han Rule in Xinjiang," Modern China 28, no. 1 (2002): pp. 39-78.
- "The History of the History of Xinjiang," Twentieth Century China 26, no 1 (2001) pp. 95-139.
East Asian Languages and Cultures
Global and International Studies Building
355 N. Jordan Avenue
Bloomington IN 47405-1105
East Asian Languages and Cultures social media channels