- (812) 856-4595
- Student Building 158
- Ph.D. in Anthropology, Cornell University, 2000
- M.A. in Anthropology, Cornell University
- B.A. in East Asian Studies, Yale University
- State and citizenship
- Gender and sexuality
- Marriage and family
- Contemporary Chinese societies
Courses Recently Taught
- ANTH E300 On the Move Across Asia: Gender, Migration, Mobility
- ANTH E345 China Through Anthropological Eyes
- ANTH E436 The Politics of Marriage
- GNDR G215 Sex and Gender in Cross-Cultural Perspective
- ANTH E400/600 The Anthropology of Citizenship
- ANTH E648 Power, Subjectivity, and the State
- GNDR G603 Feminist Theories
Awards and Distinctions
- Public Intellectuals Program Fellow, National Committee on United States-China Relations, 2014-16
- Trustees Teaching Award, Dept. of Anthropology, Indiana University, 2015
- Trustees Teaching Award, Dept. of Gender Studies, Indiana University, 2013
- National Science Foundation, Workshop Grant, 2011
- Rockefeller Foundation Award for Bellagio Center conference, “Rethinking Intimate Labor through Inter-Asian Migrations,” 2010-11
- Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars Residential Fellowship, Spring 2010
- “Reproducing Uncertainty: Documenting Contested Citizenship and Sovereignty across the Taiwan Strait.” In Benjamin Lawrance and Jacqueline Stevens, eds. Citizenship In Question: Evidentiary Birthright and Statelessness. Duke University Press, pp. 81-99, 2017.
- “The Right to Family: Chinese Marriage Immigrants, Chinese Children, and Graduated Citizenship in Taiwan.” In Anne R. Epstein and Rachel G. Fuchs, eds. Gender and Citizenship in Historical and Transnational Perspective. Pp. 211-231. New York: Palgrave, 2016.
- “Revaluing Marital Immigrants: Educated Professionalism and Precariousness among Chinese Spouses in Taiwan.” Critical Asian Studies 48:4 (2016), pp. 511-27.
- Exceptional States: Chinese Immigrants and Taiwanese Sovereignty. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2015.
- Migrant Encounters: Intimate Labor, the State, and Mobility across Asia, co-edited with Pardis Mahdavi. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2015.
- Wives, Husbands, and Lovers: Marriage and Sexuality in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Urban China, co-edited with Deborah Davis. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 2014.
- "Adjudicating the Intersection of Marital Immigration, Domestic Violence, and Spousal Murder: China-Taiwan Marriages and Competing Legal Domains." Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies 19:1, pp. 221-255, 2012.
- “Determining ‘Truth’ at the Border: Immigration Interviews, Chinese Marital Migrants, and Taiwan’s Sovereignty Dilemmas.” Citizenship Studies 14:2, pp. 167-183, 2010.
East Asian Languages and Cultures
Global and International Studies Building
355 N. Jordan Avenue
Bloomington IN 47405-1105
East Asian Languages and Cultures social media channels