- Ph.D. at Brown University, 2001
- Comparative religious ethics
- philosophy of religions
- Christian thought and ethics
- Chinese religious thought
- moral philosophy
Courses Recently Taught
- Religion and Common Morality
- Religion and Virture Ethics
- Self-Cultivation and Spiritual Exercises
- Introduction to Chinese Thought
- Conceptions of the Self, East & West
- Friendship, Benevolence, & Love
- Seminar on Zhuangzi
- "The Mencius-Xunzi Debate in Early Confucian Ethics." In Teaching Confucianism, ed. Jeffrey L. Richey, AAR’s Teaching Religion series (New York: Oxford University Press, forthcoming).
- "Transforming the Self: Confession and Performance in the Thought of Augustine and Xunzi"In Augustine and World Religions, ed. Kim Paffenroth (Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, under contract, forthcoming)
- Overcoming Our Evil: Human Nature and Spiritual Exercises in Xunzi and Augustine. Moral Traditions series, ed. James Keenan, Georgetown University Press, 2006.
- "Focus Introduction: Anthropos and Ethics: Categories of Inquiry and Procedures of Comparison” (co-authored with Mark Berkson, Thomas Lewis, and Jon Schofer). Journal of Religious Ethics 33.2 (Summer 2005): 177-185.
- "Comparative Religious Ethics and the Problem of ‘Human Nature.’" Journal of Religious Ethics 33.2 (Summer 2005): 187-224.
East Asian Languages and Cultures
Global and International Studies Building
355 N. Jordan Avenue
Bloomington IN 47405-1105
East Asian Languages and Cultures social media channels