- Ph.D. University of Arizona (Linguistics)
- MA University of Arizona (Linguistics)
- BA Tsuda College, Japan (English)
- Japanese linguistics (phonology, syntax, morphology, semantics, sociolinguistics); lexical semantics; general linguistic theory; sociolinguistics; first language acquisition; second language acquisition; language pedagogy; the language of food; food studies
Courses Recently Taught
- EALC J401-J402/J543-J544 Fourth Year Japanese 1-2
- EALC E320 Tasting Food in Japanese
- EALC J421/J520 Introduction to Japanese Linguistics
- EALC E505 Mimetics, Ideophones, and Sound-Symbolism
- Mini University (IU), Tasty Adjectives and Succulent Metaphors
Awards and Grants
- Retired Faculty Grant-in-Aid, Office of the Vice Provost of Research, Indiana University, 2022
- Research Fellowship, College Arts & Humanities Institute, Indiana University, 2019-2020
- Japan Studies Grant, Northeast Asia Council of the Association for Asian Studies, 1998, 2004, 2015
- Short-Term Fellowship, Japan Foundation, 2007-08, 2009-2010
- TEL-COMS Communication Award for Excellence in Distance Education and Teletraining, Parker Communications Corporation and TEL-COMS, 1990
- Trustees Teaching Award, Indiana University, 1997, 2005
- Food, Language, and Society: Communication in Japanese Foodways, Lexington Books. 298pp. 2023.
- Expressing Silence: Where Language and Culture Meet in Japanese. Lexington Books. 161pp. 2022.
- An Introduction to Japanese Linguistics, Third Edition, Wiley-Blackwell. 466pp. 2014.
- An Introduction to Japanese Linguistics, Second Edition, Blackwell. 501pp. 2007.
- Japanese Linguistics: Critical Concepts - Volume I: Phonology and Morphology (ed.) Routledge Library of Modern Japan, Routledge. 2005.
- Japanese Linguistics: Critical Concepts - Volume II: Syntax and Semantics (ed.) Routledge Library of Modern Japan, Routledge. 2005.
- Japanese Linguistics: Critical Concepts - Volume III: Pragmatics, Sociolinguistics, and Language Contact (ed.) Routledge Library of Modern Japan, Routledge. 2005.
- The Handbook of Japanese Linguistics (ed.) Basil Blackwell. 1999.
- An Introduction to Japanese Linguistics, Basil Blackwell. 401pp. 1996.
Journal Articles (Peer-reviewed)
“Recipe Names in Japanese Cookbooks as a Gateway to Interpersonal Communication” Names: A Journal of Onomastics 66.4: 233-245. 2018. DOI: 10.1080/00277738.2018.1452941
“Toward a Taxonomy of Loanword Prosody” (with S. Davis & J-Y Tu) Catalan Journal of Linguistics 11, 13–39. 2012.
“A Construction Approach to Innovative Verbs in Japanese” (with S. Davis) Cognitive Linguistics 22.4, 797–823. 2011.
“A Construction-Based Approach to Phrasal Adjuncts in Japanese” Language Research 45, 111–129. 2009.
“Japanese Enter/Exit Verbs Revisited: A Reply to Kita (1999)” Studies in Language 26.1, 165–180. 2002.
“A Constructional Approach to Stativity in Japanese” Studies in Language 25.3, 525-553. 2001.
“Revisiting the Two-Dimensional Approach to Mimetics: A reply to Kita (1997)” Linguistics 39.2, 409-418. 2001.
“Degree Words and Scalar Structure in Japanese” Lingua 111, 29-52. 2001.
“Two Types of Zi-Verbs in Japanese,” (with T. Aikawa) Journal of Association of Teachers of Japanese 33.1, 26-43. 1999.
“Deverbal Nominals and Telicity in Japanese,” (with M. Iida) Journal of East Asian Linguistics 8.2, 107-130. 1999.
“Resultatives and Motion Verbs in Japanese” Studies in the Linguistic Sciences, 24.2, 429-440. 1994.
“Licensing Nominal Clauses: The Case of Deverbal Nominals in Japanese” Natural Language and Linguistic Theory Vol 10, 477-522. 1992.
“An Interactive, Televised Japanese Language Class: Lessons Learned by Professor and Director” (with E. Fink) Educational Technology, 46-50. 1991.
“An Autosegmental Account of Japanese Verbal Conjugation” (with S. Davis) Journal of Japanese Linguistics 13, 117-144. 1991.
“On the Semantic Properties of Unaccusativity” Journal of Japanese Linguistics 13, 91-116. 1991.
“Unaccusative Hypothesis and Noun Classification” Linguistics 28, 929-957. 1990.
“Ergativity of Nouns and Case Assignment: Linguistic Inquiry 21.2, 277-287. 1990.
“Some Accentuation Properties in Japanese and Lexical Phonology” Linguistic Inquiry 20.2, 334–338. 1989.
“The Accent of Long Nominal Compounding in Tokyo Japanese” (with S. Davis) Studies in Language Vol.11, 199-206.1987.
“A Note on Weak Crossover in Japanese” (with A. Farmer and K. Hale) Natural Language and Linguistic Theory Vol.4, 33-42. 1986.
“Control and Null Anaphora in Japanese” Journal of Asian Culture Vol.9, 52-68. 1985.
- "The Language of Food in Japanese through a Linguistic Lens" Kiyoko Toratani (ed.) The Language of Food in Japanese: Cognitive Perspectives and Beyond, 27-52. John Benjamins. 2022.
“Japanese Word Formation in Construction Grammar” (with S. Davis) Geert Booij (ed.) The Construction of Words. Advances in Construction Morphology, 373-398. Springer. 2018.
- “Arabic Nonconcatenative Morphology in CxM” (with S. Davis) Geert Booij (ed.) The Construction of Words. Advances in Construction Morphology, 315-339. Springer. 2018.
“Syntax and Argument Structure” M. Shibatani, S. Miyagawa, and H. Noda (eds.) Handbook of Japanese Syntax, 751-782. Mouton de Gruyter. 2017.
“Japanese Linguistics” M. Aronoff (ed.) Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Linguistics. Oxford University Press. 2017. DOI:10.1093/acrefore/9780199384655.013.168.
“How Flexible should the Grammar of Mimetics be? A View from Japanese Poetry” N. Kawasaki, P. Sells, and K. Akita (eds.) Grammar of Japanese Mimetics, 103-128. Routledge. 2017.
- “Morphological Construction for Negotiating Differences in Cross-Stratum Word-Formation” L. Körtvélyessy, P. Stekauer, and S. Valera (eds.) Word-Formation Across Languages. 357-374. Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 2016.
“Lexical Semantic Role in Reorganization of the Resultative Construction” T. Kageyama and W. Jacobsen (eds.) Transitivity and Valency Alternations: Studies on Japanese and Beyond. 155-180. Mouton de Gruyter. 2016.
- “Mimetics” (with K. Akita) T. Kageyama and H. Kishimoto (eds.) Handbook of Japanese Lexicon and Word Formation. 133-160. Mouton de Gruyter. 2016.
“Non-concatenative Derivation: Other Processes” (with S. Davis) R. Lieber and P. Stekauer (eds.) Handbook of Derivational Morphology. 190-218. Oxford University Press. 2014.
“Mimetic Verbs and Meaning” F. Rainer, F. Gardani, H. C. Luschützky, and W. U. Dressler (eds.) Morphology and Meaning, 303-314. John Benjamins. 2014.
“Dragon Ash and the Reinterpretation of Hip Hop: On the notion of rhyme in Japanese Hip Hop” (with S. Davis) H. S. Alim, A. Ibrahim, and A. Pennycook (eds.) Global Linguistic Flows: Hip Hop Cultures, Youth Identities, and the Politics of Language, 179-193, Routledge. 2009.
“A Constructional Approach to Mimetic Verbs” M. Fried and H.C. Boas (eds.) Grammatical Construction: Back to the Roots, 137-154, John Benjamins. 2005.
“Perfective -ta and Prenominal Modifiers” (with M. Iida) in M. Minami and Y. Alam (eds.) Linguistics and Japanese Language Education II, Kuroshio, 93-110. 2001.
“Lexical Semantics” in N. Tsujimura (ed.) The Handbook of Japanese Linguistics, Blackwell, 349-377. 1999.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- "From Tasty Adjective to Succulent Metaphor: What the language of food reveals" Japanese/Korean Linguistics 25, 309-326. 2018.
- “Language Change in Progress: Evidence from Computer-Mediated Communication” BLS 33, 436-447. 2013.
“The Manifestation of Intrasentential Code-Switching in Japanese Hip Hop” (with S. Davis) Japanese/Korean Linguistics 19, 407-418. 2011.
- “Motion Verbs, Telicity, and Argument Projection” Japanese/Korean Linguistics, Vol. 13, 323-332. 2008.
“Rock Rhymes in Japanese Hip-Hop Rhymes” (with K. Okamura and S. Davis) Japanese/Korean Linguistics, Vol. 15, 222-233. 2007.
“Mimetic Verbs and Innovative Verbs in the Acquisition of Japanese” BLS 31, 371-382. 2007.
“Semantic Integration of Mimetics in Japanese” (with M. Deguchi) CLS 39-1, 339-353. 2007.
“Event Cancellation and Telicity” Japanese/Korean Linguistics, Vol. 12, 388-399. 2003.
“Motion and Path in the Acquisition of Japanese Intransitive Verbs” Proceedings of the 31st Stanford Child Language Research Forum. 2003.
“Intrinsic Reflexivity and Inalienable Possession in Japanese” (with T. Aikawa) Formal Approaches to Japanese Linguistics 2, 267-282. 1996.
“Another Look at Unaccusative Mismatches in Japanese” Proceedings of the Twenty-Second Annual Meeting of the Berkeley Linguistics Society 22, 406-416. 1996.
“Unaccusative Mismatches and Resultatives in Japanese” Formal Approaches to Japanese Linguistics 1, 335-354. 1994.
“Adjuncts and Event Argument in Restructuring” Japanese/Korean Linguistics 3, 121-136. 1993.
“Event Argument in Restructuring” Proceedings of the Third Formal Linguistics Society of Mid-America 3, 341-355. 1993.
“Unaccusative Nouns and Resultatives in Japanese” in Hoji, Hajime (ed.) Japanese/Korean Linguistics, The Center for the Study of Language and Information, Stanford, 335-349. 1990.
“Unaccusative Mismatches in Japanese” Proceedings of the Sixth Eastern States Conference on Linguistics 264-276. 1990.
“The Morphophonemics of Japanese Verbal Conjugation: An Autosegmental Account” (with S. Davis) Proceedings of the Fifth Eastern State Conference on Linguistics 488-499. 1989.
“Switch-Reference and Categorial Grammar” Proceedings of the Sixth West
Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics 305-316. 1988.